The national security minister Hon. Albert Kan Dapaah recently issued a caution statement to Ghanaians, calling on all to be self protective against terrorism.
According to the minister, there are indications that Ghana has become a target for terrorists after all our neighbours experienced violent attacks. Subsequent to that, a security analyst has published 21 strategies Ghanaians can adopt to stay safe in the event of an attack.
According to Dr. Kwesi Biney, although the sector minister did not mention it categorically, he was sure the terrorists are already in Ghana preparing to launch their first attack. On his Facebook page, the following were intercepted.
1. I would like to advise you all never to stay out of the house late. Come back home or stay close to your house latest 6pm 2. Be careful on how you travel in marked vehicles at all times. Be circumspect on the security context of the area and time you use marked or branded vehicles, for example, vehicles bearing names, company logos, etc.
3. Do not travel in groups. If you are to go for a programme, move in little groups of two to three; and in staggered movement.
4. If your area is being, for whatever reason, attacked switch off all lights, including any switch with lights no matter how tiny. Remove all jewelry on your body and wrap your phone in a cloth to prevent light reflection that can betray your position.
If you hear gunshot, leave your bed and lie under the bed and away from your window. Get out of sight. Lie close to any well.
5. Do not take a ride in any vehicle that you don’t know. Rathy, take public transportation at parks and other designated places.
6. When you go out, dress normal and neat, not flashy. Never wear any clothes that can get you noticed or identified.
7. If you are going anywhere. Tell at least one person Where you are going and the expected time of your arrival there and return home. Where possible, do not go alone.
8. On no account should you visit online friends, that is, people that you meet on social media. Do not, under any guise or for whatever reason, ever visit them either in public, their homes, hotels, or offices. NEVER. – Beware!
9. Speak very little when you are in public and never comment on government, political or religious issues.
10. Always maintain call credit on your phone and always ensure you have power on it. If you do not have a power bank, buy one. You may need to reach out to people in the event of an ATTACK or EMERGENCY.
11. If under attack, do not make voice calls, because sounds travels faster and quietly at night and would, in any case, draw attention to where you are/ what you’re doing. Just dial the number of a close and trusted relative or friend repeatedly, but *do not* talk if the person picks your call. You have succeeded in getting the person’s attention, so followup immediately with a short text that clearly tells what the problem is and where you are, if possible. Ensure to do this discreetly, and under cover so that your phone will not reflect any ray of light.
12. Don’t buy group dress from anyone for now. No matter how close they are to you, don’t buy.
13. Don’t attend parties that you are not closely connected or associated with the organizers.
14. In the event of an attack, remember there are only 2 rules to guide you.
*1) Do not panic*
*2) DO NOT PANIC! ! ! *
If you panic, you will not only attract the attention of the attackers to yourself, but will also get so scared and confused that you will forget the things you need to do to keep safe.
15. This is not the time to do fashion or to showcase your new clothing and shoes. Anytime you go out, wear clothes and especially shoes that will allow you to run Incase you need to get out of troubled area fast. Wear cheap and easy wear and remove shoes that you can throw away if they impede your movement. Your dress should not hinder your ability to run.
16. Prepare for any eventuality. Do not say it cants happen to you. Be prepared. Trouble can happen anywhere, anytime, and to anyone. Remember your life is very important, not your phone or property.
17. If you have to run, throw away anything in your hand. Save yourself first. Don’t wait to pick anything that drops from/ off you while running.
Run as fast you can.
18. If there is shooting, try the rules. Do not panic. The fact that you heard the gunshot means that you are not hit and you are alive.
If you are hit, you will not hear the SOUND.
#. Reduce your height first by bending down as close to the ground as possible.
#. Afterwards, try first to identify the direction of the shots: then draw a cross putting the direction of the shot at north or south. After doing this, RUN East or West.
#. Never run in a straight line in the opposite direction because bullets travel at straight lines; and never run towards the point of the gunshot.
#. As you are moving out of the troubled are, identify hard objectsnor.structures that you can use as protection where you can hide.
#. If you notice the sound is coming closer, shift your location a little as you continue to run. If not, find a safe place and hide in a sitting position to avoid stray bullets from hitting you.
19. With the situation of things in the country now, avoid arguments with people.
When you notice people are showing anger, don’t intervene. Do not wait/try to stop them. Move out the place as quickly and quietly as you can. Innocent people end up losing their lives while trying to intervene in such situations. Don’t go to places where incidents like this happen to try to know what actually happened. You may be unlucky and get injured, molested, arrested, or killed.
20. Until the security situation in the country improves, stay as close to as possible to your home. Know the shortest possible routes to your home, Incase you need to get home quickly.
Always keep some change at hand. Not much, maybe 2k or less Incase you need to board a public transport out of any trouble area.
OPEN YOUR EYES AND BE ALERT.
21. Pray without ceasing! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! . Commit your ways into the hands of God for divine protection and He will command His angels to deliver you in times of trouble.
_Suspect everything including people and places.
ALWAYS REMEMBER: SAFETY FIRST! ! !
22. Share this piece as wide as possible.
The more you share, the more lives you safe.
What do you think about this article that has got to most individuals talking aside from causing a massive stir online?
Kindly share your thoughts on this article with us in the comments section below.
Don’t forget to like and share this article with your friends and family so that we know their individual opinions and thoughts on this article.
Please follow us so that you don’t miss any of our newly published articles.