Ghana During Colonization
Many historical reports and this includes that of Robin Hallet, emphasizes the fact that the Portuguese were the very first colonial rulers to settle on Ghana’s soil to carry out trade in the mid-15th century.
The Portuguese masters uncovered huge deposits of gold somewhere around the Ankobra and Volta rivers and decided to settle in Ghana. They later named the place Mina which means “Mine” in Portuguese.
In the year 1481, the Portuguese King John II, through Don Diego d’Azambuja, the leader of the Portuguese delegation in Gold Coast, built a castle called the St. George’s Castle at present day Elmina.
The St. George’s castle was finally completed in the year 1482 with the purpose of trading in gold, ivory, and slaves. The Dutch later joined the Portuguese around 1598 and established two forts, namely Fort Vredenburg at Komenda, and Fort Amsterdam at Kormantse.
The Dutch dominated the Portuguese in the 1640s and by the mid-18th century the English, Danes, and Swedes joined the trade. In the 19th century, all of them left apart from the Dutch and British with the British obtaining most of the forts along the coast of Ghana.
Following the departure of the Dutch in 1874, which made it possible for the British to take up the name Gold Coast and make it a top territory. This is how the British came to be known as the colonial masters of Ghana.
Read also: What was Ghana like Before Colonialism?